Please be located within any U.S. timezone or your application will not be considered.
You should have solid front- and back-end WordPress development experience and not be reliant on page builders — we create custom themes. You’ll work closely with the user experience designer to build, maintain, and improve accessible, high quality, built-to-last WordPress websites and web applications for nonprofit clients working to make people’s lives better and the world a better place. Responsibilities may include custom theme or custom plugin development, one-off front-end code development, third-party software integrations, HTML email templates, and more. You must have strong experience building accessible websites, and working with Advanced Custom Fields and Timber.
You will provide proactive feedback on wireframes and designs, to help ensure a smooth build process, to help us create designs that are more efficient to build, and to help keep projects in budget. Your knowledge of WordPress native abilities and useful (and vetted and supported) plug-ins will help shape the website design, as will your ability to think outside of the box and find creative, yet efficient, ways to implement interesting or complex features. Finally, you’ll be responsible for delivering high quality code that meets web accessibility standards.
This would be about 10-20 hours per week to start.
Pay is $55-75/hour depending on experience.
- Developer on web design projects and assigned tasks for monthly support plans
- Collaborate with and provide technical guidance to team members and clients
- Review technical specifications, wireframes, and requirements with to ensure a thorough and complete understanding of assigned projects and tasks
- Create custom-coded websites built on open-source tools (WordPress and others) including ‘front-end’ code and back-end functionality as specified by the project
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Manage updates, changes, and feature additions to existing projects
- Regularly consult with project lead on code deliverables to ensure work meets project requirements before sharing with the client
- Conduct quality assurance and testing on project deliverables
- Assist with technical solutions discovery on projects
- Train clients and/or internal team on how to manage and maintain all built functionality
- Manage and coordinate tasks and communicate with clients as necessary
Qualifications & Skills:
- 3-5+ years WordPress frontend and backend web development experience, including experience creating custom themes or plugins
- 3-5+ years working with Advanced Custom Fields in WordPress, in an advanced manner. ACF has about 30 field types. We use the “flexible content field” often, which is one of the most complex fields. Alongside that we also use the “clone field” often. Fields are saved as code in our repo so we can make changes locally and then push to dev.
- High-level or expert knowledge of REST APIs, and integration with WordPress
- Strong experience using Timber
- 3-5+ years of PHP-based programming experience
- 3-5+ years building websites to the current WCAG standards
- Pixel-perfect implementation
- Strong understanding of the entire website design and development process, including working knowledge of: git or other versioning systems, configuring services such as web-hosting and dns systems, mobile responsive design, accessibility standards, and privacy/security standards
- Problem-solving, can do attitude
- Proactive communication about project status, if problems arise, if there’s scheduling challenges, etc
- Strong attention to detail
Benefits & Perks:
FT Employee Benefits: Health insurance, dental, vision, education budget, flex schedule
Location: Virtual office. U.S. time zones required.
Accrued paid time off and sick leave
Flexible work schedule: we work with you if you need to move your schedule around for family, emergencies, or just want to take a special 4-day weekend trip.
The opportunity to shape your role to your interests, and to take on significant responsibility that you likely won’t get at a larger firm.
Training and education opportunities, as we believe strongly in the importance of continued learning.
How to Apply
Please send your resume with links to at least three working websites you coded, a statement about why you want to work for us, and how you think your employment with Wire Media could make us a better company. Feel free to reveal your particular sense of humor!
We encourage people from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.