In this client-facing position, you will work on website projects for nonprofit clients working to make the world a better place by solving difficult challenges. You’ll conduct research, and handle the information architecture and wire framing processes. You’ll provide direction and feedback for the visual design to help improve the user experience. And you’ll work closely with the content strategist to develop a highly effective and compelling user experience. You’ll create and manage design systems, and project deliverables may include various types of user research, user workflows, sitemaps, lo- and hi-fi wireframes, component libraries, and clickable prototypes.
Salary range: $90-100k (based on location and experience)
Benefits: Health insurance, generous paid time off, education budget, and flexible scheduling.
Location: Virtual office. U.S. time zones preferred.
Paid time off includes 15 “anything” days, plus 12 Federal holidays (you can swap out the actual dates you take them), and (at the owner’s discretion) up to 10 days around the end of the year / new year (so far we’ve always taken this time off).
24 additional hours of paid sick leave
Flexible work schedule: we work with you if you need to move your schedule around for family, emergencies, or just want to take a special 4-day weekend trip.
The opportunity to shape your role to your interests, and to take on significant responsibility that you likely won’t get at a larger firm.
Training and education opportunities, as we believe strongly in the importance of continued learning.
A job with meaning. Work for clients who are making the world a better place by championing climate justice, providing support and resources for immigrants, or providing leadership skills and training (for example).
What you’ll do in this role:
- Lead the UX design process for web design projects
- Understand the strategic goals for the website and the user goals, and incorporate that understanding into the UX design
- Plan and lead discovery work such as user research and client workshops to obtain requirements
- Create UX design deliverables as needed per project
- Coordinate UX designs with the content strategist and the technology lead
- Present deliverables in internal reviews and at client-facing meetings
- Write specifications for the web developer(s)
- Provide direction and feedback to the web designer
- Perform quality assurance tasks during development
- Track KPIs and conduct project post-mortems to understand project results, and identify wins, and areas for learning and improvement
- Contribute to improving our processes and becoming ever more efficient
What you bring to Wire Media:
- 3-5+ years’ experience in user experience design with a focus on visual storytelling and user flows (versus corporate e-commerce)
- Experience managing multiple projects while delivering projects on time, within budget, and meeting or exceeding expectations
- Experience collaborating and communicating with various teams and delegating tasks to them accordingly
- Experience editing and inputting content in WordPress (or similar)
- Ability to read and write HTML and CSS
- Experience creating and working with design systems
- A strong portfolio of work focused on visual storytelling, and workflows to help people find the right content
- Expert understanding of best practices in website design and development
- Understanding of best practices in website accessibility (and interest in obtaining expertise)
- General visual design principles including branding
- Some connection to or understanding of the nonprofit world
- A positive, problem-solving attitude and critical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to understand and clarify strategic business requirements
- Can explain complex ideas in a straightforward manner
- High quality standards
- A high standard for organization and attention-to-detail
- A trusted advisor approach in dealing with clients
- Forward-thinking for the best interests of both the client and our firm
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills for a high degree of client interaction
- Strong presentation skills
BONUS ABILITIES / EXPERIENCE
- Visual design experience / expertise
- Frontend web development experience
How to Apply
Please send your resume with a statement about why you want to work for us, and how you think your employment with Wire Media could make us a better company. Feel free to reveal your particular sense of humor!